6.10.10

Wandering around Edward Finney's Spring/Summer 2011 Collection


Edward Finney Spring/Summer 2011 - 'The Garment That Bleeds'


A Central St. Martins graduate, Edward Finney has expert tailoring skills, cultivated on London's legendary Saville Row. He has worked in the studios of two of the most innovative fashion icons of his generation as Assistant Designer to John Galliano for four years, as well as for Alexander McQueen.



Edward Finney's Spring/Summer 2011 collection is inspired by exotic dancer, courtesan and spy Mata Hari and draws on influences from Ancient Egypt and Paris in the late 1920's. The dramatic juxtaposition of drape and tailoring, sheer and heavy fabrics epitomises the edgy femininity Finney brings to womenswear.

VAUXHALL FASHION SCOUT, which has been labelled by vogue.com as a 'talent goldmine' and is the driving force behind emerging designers, has selected Edward Finney to exhibit his collection this season during London Fashion Week. This is where i got the chance to meet, admire and feel Edward's garments. He was really kind to answer some questions so that all the fashion wanderers could get to know him better.

FW: What was your inspiration for this collection?
EF:The collection is based around Mata Hari, a Dancer and Spy. Ancient Egyptian Sculptures which lead to Late 20's Paris (Deco Movement). I tend to use different references of research that relate together in a small way. It helps to generate something new yet has a coherent story. 


FW: What's fashion for you? Could you please define me the word "fashion"? 
EF:Fashion for me is theatre and practicality.

FW: Where is fashion going?
At the moment most of the top houses are playing it safe and thus the collections are all looking simular. However like all recessions great new creativity blooms and maybe its time for a new breed of designers may have a chance to shine.


FW:Where are you now and what are your future plans?
EF:At the moment I am testing the market and seeing what reaction the press and buyers take to the collection. I am hoping to sell this season so that I can have a stockist. My future plan is to have a Catwalk Show on schedule at London Fashion Week and show the industry my capabilities.


FW: How important is the aftermath of a finished collection, regarding the steps you need to make for the next one?
EF:All the stages are important. I set tough targets for myself and where I see my label after each collection.


FW:Who are your distributors in the UK or abroad?
EF:This is my first season for manufacture so after Paris I shall hope to have a stockist.

With his excellent tailoring skills, and his innovative creations Edward is definately a fashion designer to watch and a name to remember! I am happy I met him and admired his fabulous collection from his first steps!

Photos by LYDIA KOUKOU



No comments:

Post a Comment